Drop Down Menu

Sunday, April 9, 2023

How I Came Up with My List of Books by Female Authors

 

STEP 1. Choose the lists to compile my own list.

I know most ‘best of’ lists tend to be biased towards books written in English by white men. In order to try to balance it out a bit, I decided to make a list of female authors from around the world. I found lists that fit into the following 4 categories:

 

General (biased towards white men writing books in English):

-100 Best Novels – Modern Library

-100 Must-Read Classic Books - Penguin

-The Greatest Books of All Time – thegreatestbooks.org

-The 100 Greatest Novels of All Time – The Guardian

-100 Life-Changing Books – National Book Award

 

World (lists of World Literature, non-white authors, and books in translation):

-Top 100 Works in World Literature – Norwegian Book Clubs

-The 100 Best Books of World Literature – ABC.es

-Top 100 World Literature Title – Perfection Learning

-The 100 Best Novels in Translation – Boyd Tonkin

-100 Must-Read Classics by People of Color – Book Riot

 

Female (lists of books by female authors):

-The 107 Female Authors Everyone Should Have on Their Bookshelf - Stylist

-102 of the Greatest Books by Female Authors – List Challenges

-100 Must-Read Classics by Women - Book Riot

-The Best Female Authors of All Time (100) - AbeBooks

-Must-Read Books by Women (53) - Penguin

-40 of the Best Books for Women Written by Female Authors – rd.com

 

Continent (not North America or Europe):

-100 Best African Books of All Time – Short Form

-Africa’s 100 Best Books of the 20th Century – ASC Library

-10 Essential African Novels – Publishers Weekly

-100 Must-Read Books by Asian Authors – Book Riot

-35 of the Best Books by Asian Authors – Woman’s Day

-25 Books That Will Transport You Through Asia – Lonely Planet

-100 Must-Read Australian Books – Book Riot

-Top 50 Australian Books – List Challenges

-50 Must Read Australian Novels

-100 Must-Read Latin America Books – Book Riot

-Top 20 Latin American Books to Read Before You Die – Latin Times

-10 of the Best Latin American Novels – The Guardian


STEP 2. Compile a list of all the books and tabulate an initial order.

I went through all the links above and typed the books into a spreadsheet. Each book got 1 line and I kept a tally of how many of the links listed it. There were 646 books from the 28 lists. To be on a ‘must-read’ list, it needs to be tested by time - 10 years for this list. Any book published in 2013 or later was taken off the list.

 

To come up with the order, I first looked at which books were mentioned by the most links. Then I highlighted the 39 books by females from my 100 Inclusive Must-Read Book List to make sure those were included.


I then looked at which authors had the most books listed. Based on the books on the most links, I highlighted at least: 1 book from each author with 3 books, 2 books from authors with 4-5 books, and 3 books from the author with 6 books. I made sure there were no more than 3 books per author in order to allow for other authors to be recognized.

 

STEP 3. Check the diversity of the list.

At this point, I had about 77 books on my list with many of the rest having a similar ranking. I decided to check the diversity because I wanted at least 20 books in translation and at least 5 books by an author from all 6 inhabited continents. I only had 11 books in translation, so I found all of them that were mentioned on at least 2 lists and highlighted them. Asia was the only continent that didn’t have 5 books, but I added to all the continents until they had 5 or more books each.


STEP 4. Double-check the diversity of my list.

I recounted again and I had over 20 books in translation and at least 7 books from each continent. I still only had 94 books on my list of 100, though. I found books by Native North Americans and added them to my list. The last couple, I chose from the highest ranked not yet included in my list... and I had 100 books! For those with the same rank, I put them in order by publication - oldest to newest; for those with the same rank and published in the same year, I put them in alphabetical order by the author’s last name.

 

The list has:


100 books total by 87 female authors

 

23 books in translation 

(not originally written in English)

 

44 books by world authors 

(Either: not from North America/Europe OR a POC from those 2 continents)

 

15 books in translation by world authors


 

More Fun Statistics for the Female Author List!

No comments:

Post a Comment