Drop Down Menu

Sunday, August 11, 2019

What is a CAWPILE Rating?

I've always avoided giving an x out of 10 rating or an x out of 5 stars rating on my book reviews because it seemed too subjective. I mean, it's a book review. It's my opinion and, therefore, subjective to begin with. I guess the number rating just seemed too abstract to me and there would be no way for it to be consistent from book review to book review.

Well, enter in Youtube's Book Roast! She too decided she wanted a more concrete rating system instead of just going by how she felt. So she came up with the CAWPILE Rating System!

C- characters
A - atmosphere
W - writing Style
P - plot
I - intrigue
L - logic
E - enjoyment

You rate each topic 0-10.
0-3 = very poor
4-6 = mediocre
7-9 = really good
10 = outstanding

Then you average the 7 individual ratings to get the overall x out of 10 rating for the book.

Once you've done that, you can convert the overall rating into the star rating.
1.1-2.2 = ⭐
2.3-4.5 = ⭐⭐
4.6-6.9 = ⭐⭐⭐
7-8.9    = ⭐⭐⭐⭐
9-10     = ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

There you have it! If you have a different system you use for rating books, I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm too lazy to use this system. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... we'll see how long I stick with it. But I do really like this system.

      Delete
  2. I would use the CAWPILE system without translating to a star rating. I actually don't like giving star ratings on my blog, because I would prefer to give pros and cons, letting the reader decide.

    ReplyDelete