Drop Down Menu

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Valdemar Series - Mercedes Lackey







































(Unfortunately, I can't find the editable file to edit the above graphic. I may one day remake it, but I don't have the time right now.)

I remember sitting in class in 7th or 8th grade reading through the Arrows trilogy. I have read it many times since then and have wanted to read more of the Valdemar universe for quite a while. I don't know if I was overwhelmed by the number of books in the series or what, but I've finally decided to work my way through the 41 (and counting) book series.

The image above is a reproduction of a timeline I found in my copy of Exile's Valor. There have been 11 new books since the timeline was created and I will edit it as I read through the series. The list below is the chronological order of the books in the series - which is different than the publication order. I broke the series into two sections: History of Valdemar (24 books) and Selenay's Tale (17 books).

If I read the books in actual chronological order, I would read and review over half the books before I got to the original, first published, Heralds of Valdemar trilogy - the Arrows Trilogy. That's a long time before I would get to review the trilogy that made me fall in love with the Valdemar universe to begin with... which is why I split the series in two. Instead of starting with the first section (History of Valdemar), I have started with the second section (Selenay's Tale). When I've read through all of that section, I will then read through the History of Valdemar. I will link my reviews to the books listed below as I complete them.

Note: Mercedes Lackey (American, 1950- ) has written a multitude of novels outside of the Valdemar universe but for now that's where I'm focusing. One day, when I finish this long saga, I'll probably look more into some of the other series she has.

HISTORY OF VALDEMAR
The Mage Wars Trilogy:
     -The Black Gryphon (1994)
     -The White Gryphon (1995)
     -The Silver Gryphon (1996)

The Founding of Valdemar Series:
     -Beyond (2021)
     -Into the West (2022)
     -Valdemar (2023?)

The Last Herald Mage Trilogy:
     -Magic's Pawn (1989)
     -Magic's Promise (1990)
     -Magic's Price (1991)

Collegium Chronicles:
     -Foundation (2008)
     -Intrigues (2010)
     -Changes (2011)
     -Redoubt (2012)
     -Bastion (2013)

Herald Spy Trilogy:
     -Closer to Home (2014)
     -Closer to the Heart (2015)
     -Closer to the Chest (2016)

Family Spies:
     -The Hills Have Spies (2018)
     -Eye Spy (2019)
     -Spy, Spy Again (2020)

Lavan's Tale:
     -Brightly Burning (2000) - Stand Alone

Vows and Honor Trilogy:
     -The Oathbound (1988)
     -Oathbreakers (1989)
     -Oathblood (1998) - short stories

SELENAY'S TALE
Alberich's Tale (Exiles of Valdemar Series):
     -Exile's Honor (2002)
     -Exile's Valor (2003)

Skif's Tale (Exiles of Valdemar Series):
     -Take a Thief (2001) - Stand Alone

Arrows Trilogy - The Original Novels of the Heralds of Valdemar:
     -Arrows of the Queen (1987)
     -Arrow's Flight (1987)
     -Arrow's Fall (1988)

Kerowyn's Tale:
     -By the Sword (1991) - Stand Alone

The Mage Winds Trilogy:
     -Winds of Fate (1991)
     -Winds of Change (1992)
     -Winds of Fury (1993)

The Mage Storms Trilogy:
     -Storm Warning (1994)
     -Storm Rising (1995)
     -Storm Breaking (1996)

Darian's Tale - A Trilogy:
     -Owlflight (1997)
     -Owlsight (1998)
     -Owlknight (1999)

Kelvren's Saga:
    *3 short stories?
     -Gryphon in Light (2023)
     -Gryphon's Valor (2024?)
     -TBD

Still can't get enough? There's also a comprehensive reader's guide titled The Valdemar Companion (2001) and other miscellaneous short stories. There are ALSO (currently) 17 anthologies published between 1997-2023. The anthologies are collections of short stories set in Valdemar written by Mercedes Lackey and various other authors.

In 2022 there was also a Kickstarter that included maps, an official timeline, miniatures, pins, bookmarks, t-shirts, and more!

Have you read any books from Valdemar?
What did you think of them?
Do you have a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment